Monday, June 20, 2011

Another "Junked" item Rescue Story!

A few weeks ago we asked for stories of ways you rediscovered or reused a "junked" or thrift store item. This week we're featuring Garbage of Eden founder and fellow trash-lover, Stephanie Huffaker's lost and found story:

A couple years ago, I bought a cute vintage necklace for $7 from a thrift shop. It was one of those large wooden-beaded necklaces from the 70's. It was a fun shape and it was black so it went with everything. I loved it and wore it all the time.

It fell off a lot because the clasp was loose, but since it was kind of big I usually noticed when it fell off and just put it right back on. I kept telling myself that I should restring the whole thing and replace the clasp but I just kept putting it off.

One day, I was running errands around my neighborhood when I noticed that my necklace was missing. I retraced my steps for a few blocks, but it was nowhere to be found. My favorite necklace was gone for good. :(

About a month later I invited a friend of mine to go shopping at the Salvation Army near my apartment. We got in line with the spoils of our thrifting adventures and...what to my wondering eyes?!

A black, 1970's wooden-beaded necklace was hanging by the checkout! I looked closer....it had a nick on one of the beads where I had stepped on it by mistake- it was my favorite necklace!

And this time it only cost me $1.00. :)



If you have a story you'd like to share, let us know! Email us at kathy (at) replayground (dot) com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a happy ending!